Since 2015, the European Commission has been promoting the Seal of Excellence (SoE), a quality label awarded to projects that were judged worthy of funding but received none due to budget constraints. The SoE was launched by commissioners Moedas and Cretu on 12 October 2015 in the framework of the mandate received from President Juncker to maximise synergies between Horizon 2020 and Structural Funds.
To promote synergy, the University of Siena shall use its own funds to recruit young, promising researchers, allowing them to pursue their research ideas in a stimulating, collaborative working environment.
The MSCA Seal of Excellence @ UNISI initiative welcomes applications from promising researchers who have received an excellent evaluation (i.e. a score higher than 85/100) in the Marie Sklodowska Curie - Individual Fellowships actions.
The University of Siena has allocated 200,000 Euros as part of the 2021 Research Support Plan to projects that, in the 2019 and 2020 MSCA - IF calls were awarded the "Seal of Excellence - MSC Actions" but were not funded. The call is also open to researchers who did not identify UNISI as the project Host Institution.
The € 200,000 fund shall be assigned to four different profiles, one for each academic area:
- Economics, Law and Political Science
- Humanities, History, Philosophy and Arts
- Biomedical and Medical Sciences
- Experimental Sciences
The University thus intends to support 4 researchers for projects lasting 12-18 months which, despite having received a score of at least 85/100, were not funded but received the Seal of Excellence. Each grant amounts to 45,000 Euros gross; in addition, € 5,000 will be made available to researchers for research expenses, training, networking and missions.
- Call for research grants (published on 12.04.2021) deadline 04.06.2021
- Deadline postponed to 18.06.2021 – 12 p.m. (CET)
- Members of the Evaluation Commission have been appointed (29.06.2021)
- First meeting of the Evaluation Commission: minutes on selection criteria (05.07.2021)
- Second meeting of the Evaluation Commission: evaluation report (20.07.2021) and amended version (transcription error)
- NEW! Rectoral Decree approving selection results (29.07.2021)