Born in Poggibonsi (Siena, Italy) on November 27, 1964.
- July 1991: graduated in Biological Sciences (University of Siena, Italy).
- October 1995: awarded Ph.D. in Agricultural Biology (University of Pisa, Italy).
- January 1998-November 2001 Laboratory technician at the Department of Environmental Sciences (University of Siena, Italy)
- December 2001-December 2012 Researcher at the Department of Environmental Sciences (University of Siena, Italy)
- January 2013- October 2016 Researcher at the Department of Environmental Sciences (University of Siena, Italy)
- November 2016 – to date Associate Professor at the Department of Environmental Sciences (University of Siena, Italy)
Since the academic year 2001-2002 he is involved in teaching activities concerning General Plant Biology and Plant Evolution for the BSc courses in Biology and Farmacy and for the MSc courses in Biodiversity, Ecology and Evolution and in Biodiversity and Nature Conservation.
- Academic years from 2002-2003 to 2007-2008 - member of the Teaching Committee of the MSc course in Biodiversity, Ecology and Evolution (University of Siena).
- December 2002 – December 2011 secretary of the Tuscany Section of the Italian Botanical Society.
- 2003 coordinator of the working group for the self-assessment report of the Department of Environmental Sciences (University of Siena).
- June 2003 - June 2008 member of the Scientific Committee of the botanical garden “Pietro Pellegrini” (Pian della Fioba, Massa, Italy).
- 2004 - 2011 vice-director School of Doctorate in Sciences and Technology Applied to the Environment (University of Siena).
- A.Y. 2008-2009 to 2011-2012 secretary of the Teaching Committee of the MSc course in Biodiversity and Nature Conservation (University of Siena).
- 2012 to date - board member of International Association for Plant-Pollinator Relationships (ICPPR) and coordinator of the Nectar Working Group of the same association.
- 2013 to date - member of the Teaching Committee of the BSc course in Biology (University of Siena).
- 2013 to date – member of the Scientific Committee of the Botanical Garden of the University of Siena.
- September 13-16, 2016 invited professor at the Summer School “Flowers and pollinators”, Portici (Naples), Italy.
He was external examiners for MSc and PhD thesis at the University of Bologna, University of Florence, University of Pretoria (SA), Catholic University of Leuven (BE), McQuire University (AU).
Reviewer for the following funding agencies:
Italian Ministry of University and Research (MIUR) for PRIN and FIR projects
KU Leuven (Belgium) InterDisciplinaire Onderzoeksprogrammas (IDO)
Narodowe Centrum Nauki – NCN, Poland
Current reviewer for the following international scientific journals:
Annals of Botany, Journal of Ecology, American Journal of Botany, Plant Biology, Sexual Plant Reproduction, Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society, Biology Letters, Oecologia, Oikos, Protoplasma, Plant Systematics and Evolution, Plant Species Biology, Journal of Chemical Ecology, International Journal of Plant Sciences.
EDITING, CONGRESS/SYMPOSIA ORGANIZATION
2003 - Co-editor “Nectar and Nectary: from biology to biotechnology”, Springer-Wien, edited by Arthur Davis, Michael Hesse, Massimo Nepi, Ettore Pacini;
2007 - Co-editor “Nectaries and Nectar”, Springer-Dordrecht, edited by Sue Nicolson, Massimo Nepi and Ettore Pacini.
May 28-31 2002 “Nectar and nectaries: from biology to biotechnology” Montalcino (Siena, Italia).
July 23-30 2011 “Nectar: function, ecology and evolution” symposium in the framework of the XVIII International Botanical Congress, Melbourne (Australia).
September 15-16 2014 International Meeting on Plant Reproduction, Bologna (Italia).