Italian Republic and democracy have by this time a history of their own. Course’s aim is to help students to know some of the major topics and problems in the Republic’s history, reading some of the major scholarly works and authors who studied them.
Among topics, authors and books the course will be speaking about we can mention:
Postwar period, 1. Reconstruction, 2. Constitution, Law, 3. Demographics, 4. Party system, 5. Catholic Church, religions, 6. Agriculture, 7. Foreign policy, Centrism, ‘shielded democracy’, 8. Intellectuals, 9. South, 10. Law and order, 11. The ‘economic miracle ‘, 12. Foreign trade, 13. Energy policy, 14. European Policy, Center -Left, 15. Consumption, consumerismo, 16. Young people as social class, 17. 1968, 18. Women, 19. Families, relations between the sexes, 20. The social classes, The Seventies, 21. Trades union, 22. Political movements, 23. 1973 Crisis, 24. Terrorism, 25. Public administration, bureaucracy, 26. Health, 27. Sport, The Eighties, 28. Deindustrialization, 29. Cities, urbanism, 30. Environment, environmental disasters, 31. Tourism, 32. Banking system, 33. Localism, secessionism, The last two decades, 34. Corruption, 35. Justice, judiciary, 36. Berlusconi, ‘Berlusconism’, 37. Mass media, 38. Overseas military interventions and military policy, 39. International migrations, 40. Reformulation of Italian national identity, 41. Volunteering, social capital, 42. Education, University, 43. Economic crisis, A Second Republic?
Some of these topics will be highlighted by the professor, some other will be discussed thanks to short papers by students in the seminar and in front of the professor.
In order to pass the examination students are expected 1. To attend the course, 2. To study a selection of chapter from the books mentioned in Bibliography, 3. To pass a written examination (with some combination of multiple choice, short answer, and/or essays, but emphasizing questions requiring written responses), 4. To write a paper on a book at student’s choice.
Active participation of students who can attend the course will be encouraged. Final grade will take into account this active participation in the seminar (20 per cent of the total grade), a written examination with questions on the general history of Italian Republic (30 per cent of the total grade), and a short written research paper (3000-4500 words) on topics and sources at the student’s choice from a list to be prepared by the teacher (50 per cent of total grade).