The topic of the course is language and computation: on the one hand we will see how linguistic intuitions can be formalized in a way that will make possible to implement them in computer programs. On the other, we will dig into the cognitive plausibility of these computational models.
We will also discuss how to store in an appropriate format linguistic information (corpora) and how to query linguistic databases.
The main topics that will be analyzed are the following ones:
- annotated corpora and lexical information;
- morpho-syntactic parsers;
- syntactic and semantic tagging;
- formal grammars
- machine translation systems;
- (time permitting) computational model of language processing and the brain;