By the time the students finish the course, they should be able to:
- Describe the parameters used to evaluate the performance of a diagnostic microbiology assay
- Describe the principles of the serological, cultural and molecular diagnostic microbiology assays
- Discuss the specific diagnostic workup for the most important pathogens
- Compare the pros and cons of the different laboratory procedures involved in the diagnosis and monitoring of infectious diseases.
- Describe the principle of the organization of the microbiology lab and its flowcharts.