The purpose of this course is to provide a full overview of the discipline in its various aspects, by developing a reflection on the fundamental concepts and methods of archaeological research in the field and in the laboratory, through discussion of a series of keywords and of some study cases.
Class title: "What archeology is and why it's worth dealing with it"
1. Who are archaeologists: looking for a professional definition, in the present and future.
2. Exploring the boundaries of a discipline: history, history of art, anthropology.
3. What is the methodology of archaeological research?
4. Dealing with things. Artifacts / ecofacts and artifacts.
5. When. The complexity of archaeological time and methods of dating.
6. The material culture.
7. The context.
8. The archaeological site: the future of the landscape's past.
9. To dig or not to dig?
10. The stratification of the soil.
11. Theory and practice of archaeological stratigraphy.
12. Excavation in practice.
13. Excavation and the law: permits, security.
14. Archeology and the public: looking for sustainability.
1. C. Renfrew - P. Bahn, L'essenzioale di archeologia. Teoria, metodi, pratica, Bologna 2016;
2. E. Giannichedda, Uomini e cose. Appunti di archeologia, Bari 2006;
3. A. Carandini, Storie dalla terra, Torino 2010.
The course will consist of 27 two-hours lectures.The selected basic subjects will be discussed also in the light of most recent contribution in the international scientific debate.
An intermediate test and a final examination are planned.
The intermediate test will be held on mid-course and will consist of a written paper, with open-ended questions, focusing on the topics covered in the first part of the course.
Participation in the intermediate test is not mandatory, but it is strongly recommended to use it as a self-evaluation moment.
The final exam will consist of an oral discussion lasting approximately between 20 and 30 minutes. The student will be asked four questions on the topics covered in the class: the knowledge of the texts indicated in the bibliography will be also checked.
Worker students are requested to apply to the teacher for further reading programme.