The course will treat some topics concerning :
- Biodiversity meaning and Biodiversity levels, Taxonomy, Systematics, and Phylogeny (Basilar concepts and different approaches);
- Environmental context, Pattern in Space and in Time, Biomes;
- Evolutionary Strategies and Adaptations (Morphological, Physiological, Behavioural);
- Population Dynamics and analysis of factors determing population patterns and size (Demography, Limiting factors, Dispersion/Dispersal);
- Spatial Ecology with particular attention to habitat loss and habitat fragmentation, Metapopulations;
- a review on the concept of "bioindication" and on methods to measure Biodiversity (Sampling Technics, Monitoring) will be given.