On 16th October 2017 two new courses are starting for first-year foreign students (graduate and masters levels). Please find attached some information regarding it.
1) Be ready to start the new course by taking advantage of some helpful online resources for learning Italian
At this link you will find some useful online resources for learning Italian. By taking advantage of these resources, you will have a first approach to Italian and will be able to obtain a basic knowledge of the language before starting the Italian course that the University of Siena will offer you as a new student. The course will begin in October 2017 and finish in January 2018.
2) How the Italian course works
This course is addressed to learners without prior knowledge of Italian. It aims to help you reach at least an A1 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
After the course, you should be able to understand and use familiar everyday expressions to introduce yourself, talk about the place you come from, describe the place where you live, talk about your occupation, order something in a restaurant, etc. You will also learn relevant information about the city of Siena and the European Union.
The course is organized in 12 weeks:
• 48 hours of face-to-face lessons (2 lessons per week)
• 12 hours online on CLA Siena Online (discussion forums, exercises etc.)
• seminars on cultural topics (the two groups of students together), for example: "Italian Customs, Habits and Manners”, “Palio is Life – A Brief Overview”, "EU citizenship and its Perspectives" (the calendar will be available soon).
At least 70% attendance is required in order to be awarded a certificate.
2) Enrolment in the Italian language course
There will be two days for enrolling in the Italian language course: 6th and 11th October, from 10 am to 1pm, in the Language Center of the University of Siena, Piazza San Francesco, 8 Siena. There will be signs indicating the office where you are must register. Please bring your passport with you, as well as your VISA or residence permit, letter of enrolment in the University of Siena with your student registration number, and your payment receipt of the first instalment.
3) Italian language course timetable
The course is totally free; students must buy and bring the book to the first lesson. The book (available in the Feltrinelli bookstore - via Banchi di Sopra, 64/66 – Siena) is entitled: New Italian Espresso - Textbook libro + DVD , ALMA Edizioni Ean: 9788861823549
Students will be divided into two groups:
• GROUP A: for all foreign students enrolled in the first year of the undergraduate and masters level courses of the ECONOMICS DEPARTMENT. The course will start on October 16th 2017 and will finish on January 26th 2018.
The first lesson will be held in the language lab n° 1 (Aula informatica 1)" at the “Presidio San Francesco" - Piazza San Francesco, 8 Siena. The other lessons will be held in room number 7
at the “Presidio San Francesco".
• GROUP B: for those foreign students enrolled in the first year of undergraduate and graduate level courses of all OTHER DEPARTMENTS. The course will start on October 16th 2017 and will finish on January 22nd 2018.
The first lesson will be held in the language lab n° 143 (Aula informatica 143) at the "Presidio San Niccolò" - Via Roma, 56. The other lessons will be held in room number 15
at the "Presidio San Niccolò".